Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Stupid, fool, silly .... just pick one.That's what I am!

I am not good at physical jobs,like fixing cars or building a fence.Maybe I am good at mental jobs, like programming or designing(Attention!The key word in the latter sentence is Maybe).Let me give you an example, this is a very famous mathematics problem , my aunts husband told me and I couldn't find the answer.I'll explain later why.
Problem:
There were a man who had 17 cows.When he was dying asked his 3 sons to come.He told them that 1/9 of cows will be the biggest brothers,1/3 for the bigger brother and 1/2 for smallest of 3 brothers.And he dies at the moment.Question is how to divide 17 cows among three brothers with the following rules:
-No brother can give his share to other brothers
-There can't be half or any ratio except 1 for divide
Well, I gave a lot of taught to it, I tried to solve the problem with mathematics.But no acceptable results!In fact I used my mathematics which is one of my mental tools to solve.Try it and for sure you won't get a result that rules apply.
My aunts husband told me the Answer:
"Consider there were 18 cows, then there won't be any problem,right?All of brothers will have their share and none of the rules will be dominated.But there are 17 cows.So me as a friend of their father add one of my cows to their cows.It is 18 cows around now.Let's begin dividing:Since the biggest brother get 1/9 of cows his share will be 18/9 or 2.Other brothers shares are as follows:18/3 or 6 and 18/2 or 9.Now lets add up our results, 2+6+9=17!Since all of brothers have their share I have my cow back.
Cool ,right?!But wait a minute!How it can be possible?!Where is that one cow I added ?!How come this is possible?The answer is:Mathematics isn't a complete science, none of sciences are complete.So you shouldn't always rely on sciences to solve your problems.
Only persons whit perfect balance of physical experiments and mind power can solve such a problem!This is really hard and requires talent, not study.That's why I consider myself fool, pathetic or lets just say "Pure stupid"!

No comments: